Today is my 22nd birthday and so I thought that I would share 21 lessons that I have learnt along the way.
Some of these lessons have been passed on by family, friends, teachers, and many people along the way. But, regardless these lessons have helped to shape me into who I am today.
1. YOU ARE NOT YOUR ILLNESS: You are not a victim in this world, and you are not your illness.
2. HEALTH IS SO IMPORTANT: Health needs to be my #1 priority (and yours too). School, friends, family, or work should never jeopardize your health.
3. IT’S OKAY TO ASK FOR HELP: You are not weak for needing help. It is okay to ask and accept help from those around you.
4. NOURISH YOUR BODY: Your body deserves nutritious food and lots of movement. Don’t deprive yourself.
5. PEOPLE TRY TO UNDERSTAND: Just because people don’t have a chronic illness does not mean that they have never experienced pain. Allow people to try to understand your condition without comparing their life experiences.
6. THANK THOSE WHO SUPPORT YOU: It is easy to over look those that have been supporting you for so long. Be sure to thank those who have helped you throughout your journey, including your family, friends, doctors, nurses, medical staff, etc.
7. KEEP PERSPECTIVE: I know that people hate the saying “someone always has it worse”. But, it is important to remember this from time to time and be thankful for the blessings you do have.
8. FORGIVENESS SETS YOU FREE: Holding a grudge hurts you more than the other person, release and forgive often.
9. FRIENDSHIP IS A TWO WAY STREET: If somebody wants to be in your life they will put in the effort to see you. You shouldn’t have to be the first one to text/call/make plans every time.
10. SAY “I LOVE YOU” OFTEN: You never know when someone will be gone, so make sure you remind your loved ones about your love for them.
11. IT’S NOT WORTH BEING RIGHT: It is not worth getting in a fight just for the sake of being right. Think about your relationship over your ego.
12. FEW ARE BETTER THAN MANY: I prefer to have fewer super close friends, than to have many acquaintances.
13. PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE: Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and meet new people. If you want to connect with someone it is as simple as sending them a message or DM.
14. DON’T ARGUE OVER TEXT: Texts can be very misleading, when you can, pick up the phone to iron things out.
15. DON’T LIMIT YOURSELF: You don’t need to do ONE thing. You can be a person of many hats and you can wear each one proudly.
16. FIND JOY IN THE LITTLE THINGS: Don’t be afraid to get super excited about the little things, it all adds up in the end.
17. DON’T ASSUME ANYTHING: You never know what somebodies day/week/life has been like. Be kind to others, always.
18. THE UNIVERSE IS FOR YOU: The universe has got your back and everything will happen as it should.
19. WE ALL HAVE 24 HOURS: We are all dealt the same amount of time in a day. Be wise with how you use it and don’t complain that there is not enough time to get everything done. If you want it, you will make time.
20. PRIORITIZE SLEEP: Sleep is fundamental for a happy and healthy life. Do not over look sleep (read more here).
21. SPREAD LOVE: It is so important that we spread love and inspiration to others. Hate gets us nowhere in life.
These are just a few of the most important lessons I have learnt through the years. I would love to know what your top take away is from this post in the comments below!
If you liked the post make sure to share it with a friend and subscribed to my blog to get email updates every time I post. Also be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get more updates from me on my day to day life.
- 5 THINGS TO DO FOR A SMOOTH TRANSITION INTO FALL
- MY FAVORITE PODCASTS OF 2019
- GET GUTSY ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT: HOW TO USE LESS WATER AND WHERE THE WATER IS REALLY COMING FROM
- MY SUMMER FAVORITES
- 5 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT UNIVERSITY WITH A CHRONIC ILLNESS